Friday, September 3, 2010

Greek Lemon Chicken Soup

Again, no pictures!  UGH!  I was feeling not so well yesterday which is what was making me crave soup in the first place.  I wasn't in the mood to be fooling around with pictures and aprons and fun.  I just wanted the soup!  Now I wish I had a picture!
ENJOY!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 c. chopped cooked chicken (I just buy an already made rotisserie from the grocery store and then take it off the bone and put it into the food processor.  I made chicken salad for sandwiches with the leftovers.)
  • 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 1-2 lemons (I only used one lemon and our soup was PERFECT!!!)
  • 2 Tbs. snipped fresh parsley (I skipped this, but that's up to you!)
  • 1 garlic clove, pressed (I was sick so I used a lot more garlic to try and help fight it and I loved it.)
  • 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (I used 98% fat-free, reduced-sodium because that's what I had and it tasted great)
  • 3 cans chicken broth
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • dash of salt
  • 2/3 c. uncooked long-grain white rice (I'm sure you could use brown too)
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Heat stock pot over medium heat until hot.  Lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.  Add carrots, onion and garlic: cook and stir 2 minutes.
  2. Stir in chicken, lemon zest, juice, soup, chicken broth, black pepper and salt.  Bring to a boil
  3. Stir in rice: reduce heat.  Cover and simmer over low heat 15-20 min or until rice is tender.
  4. Remove from heat: stir parsley into soup just before serving.
I also made some broiled hoagie buns with butter and Parmesan cheese.  Just cut the hoagie buns lengthwise and then in half.  Lightly butter and sprinkle choice of cheese on top.  Put in oven on broiling rack.  Watch CAREFULLY so they don't burn!

No comments:

Post a Comment