Thursday, September 16, 2010

Gingerbread Bran Muffins

Gingerbread Bran Muffins
so.....I took pictures this time.  I SWEAR I did.  However they are mysteriously missing from my camera this evening as I blog.  I think the blogging/photo gods are against me.  I made this recipe on Sunday morning during a football half-time show.  It is super quick and easy and if you like bran muffins, DELICIOUS.  **WARNING: Even though these muffins are delicious, please remember they are BRAN muffins...one per sitting!**

Ingredients:
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 c. sugar + 2 tsp (or more) for topping
  • 1 c. buttermilk (or substitute 1 Tbs vinegar or lemon juice and regular milk to equal 1 c.)
  • 1/3 c. vegetable oil (I used EVOO and it turned out fine)
  • 1/4 c. molasses
  • 1 1/2 c. bran cereal shreds (not flakes)
  • 1 c. all purpose or whole grain flour (I used whole grain and they were still super yummy!)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinamon
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
Directions:
  1. In medium bowl lightly beat egg.  Add 1/4 c. sugar, buttermilk (or substitute), oil & molasses; beat well w/wire whisk.  Stir in cereal.  Let stand 10 min.
  2. In small bowl, mix all remaining dry ingredients.  Add to bran mixture; mix well.  Bake immediately or cover and refrigerate overnight. (GREAT for next day company!)
  3. Heat oven to 375F.  Place paper baking cups in each of 12 regular size muffin cups.  Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.  Sprinkle each evenly w/remaining 2 tsp. sugar (or to taste...the original recipe called for an extra 2 TBSP!)
  4. Bake 20-25 minutes or until tops spring back when touched lightly.  Remove from pan.  Serve warm or cold.
 I hope you enjoy these yummy breakfast or mid-morning treats as much as Greg and I did!  YUMMY...

As an added bonus try the Calypso Sandwich Sauce the next time you make a sandwich...Mix 1/3 c. mayo, 2 Tbs. Dijon or Horseradish mustard and 2 tsp honey.  So yummy!  I'm thinking of making a whole jar and using it every time!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment