Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Salmon Cakes with Cool Lime Sauce

I'm just going to start this post by apologizing for the absolute lack of pictures.  I usually try to take pictures of my creations, "Just in case!", but lately I haven't been LOVING any of the creations.  I went into this recipe a little negative.  I thought, "I'm sure it will taste okay, but probably nothing I'll want to post to the blog."  What happens?  SO MUCH BETTER THAN OK!!!  Greg and I LOVED this recipe.  In fact last night around 10 I told him, "All I can think about is having more of those Salmon Cakes!"  So here it is...hope you and yours enjoy it just as much.  I think it's a really nice appetizer or even a light summer meal with slaw.  I could even see enjoying them in the winter with a cream based soup!  OH SO YUMMY!!!

INGREDIENTS
Sauce:
  • 1 Lime
  • 1/2 c. mayonnaise (recipe calls for fat-free but I don't believe in that stuff)
  • 1/4 c. sour cream (again with the fat-free)
Salmon Cakes:
  • 2 cans (6oz each) skinless, boneless pink salmon packed in water
  • 1/4 c. finely chopped red bell pepper
  • 1/4 c. thinly sliced green onions with tops
  • 1 Tbs. snipped fresh cilantro (or more...you can never have too much cilantro!)
  • 3/4 c. unseasoned dry bread crumbs (I used Italian...and you will probably need more than 3/4 c.)
  • 1/3 c. mayonnaise (yes "fat-free" and this is in addition to the 1/2 c. you need for the sauce)
  • 1 (or 2) egg white
  1.  For Sauce, zest lime to measure 2 tsp zest (I just eyed it, it was great).  Juice lime to measure 2 tsp (again, just juice the lime...you kind of get what you get!).  In small bowl combine zest, juice, mayo and sour cream.  Mix well.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.  ***This makes WAY MORE SAUCE than you will need for your cakes.  I think it would be a nice dressing for a slaw with some white cabbage and shredded carrots***
  2. For Salmon Cakes, drain salmon.  Place in small bowl and flake with fork.  Finely chop bell pepper and thinly slice green onions.  Snip or finely chop cilantro.  Add bell pepper, green onions, cilantro 1/2 c. of the bread crumbs, mayo and egg white to salmon.  Mix well.  ***depending on the consistency I would add extra mayo here or another egg white.  Mine was initially kind of dry and you need them to be a bit sticky for the cake to form)
  3. Heat skillet over medium heat until hot.  In the mean time, sprinkle 1/4 c. bread crumbs (or more) onto bottom of shallow dish or plate.  Using hands (this is messy!!!) scoop up some Salmon mixture and form a ball then pat into cake about 1/2" thick.  Turn to coat evenly in bread crumbs (both sides), set aside until all cakes are ready to cook.  Makes between 6 and 8 cakes so separate Salmon mixture accordingly.
  4. Cook Salmon Cakes 3-4 min per side until golden brown.  Serve with Sauce 






1 comment: